Cheltenham Town Hall was built in 1902-03, in order to provide a venue for the many balls and concerts which made up the towns social calendar at the turn of the twentieth century.
The designs for the building, which was built of freestone in a heavy classical or Baroque style, were provided by a Gloucester architect, Frederick William Waller, and the actual building work was undertaken by a Cheltenham firm, Messrs. Collins and Godfrey.
The Town Hall also included dining and drawing rooms, and other offices, and to the left of the entrance hall, the Central Spa, opened in June 1906 in order to make the Cheltenham Spa waters available to residents and visitors, in a central location. The octagonal counter, and urns, which are of Doulton ware, can still be seen.
The Town Hall is now used for concerts, banquets, meetings, dances, balls, exhibitions, conferences and as one of the major homes of Cheltenham Festivals.